Lost in Eternity

Lost in Eternity
Lost in Eternity is an altered book that took me an inordinate amount of time to complete. The book was ripped apart, a window cut into it, and a Nicho placed in the window. I then used pages of Greek text from a small book on Plato’s The Apology of Socrates. I admit that I used these pages because I love the shapes of the Greek alphabet. I added the word Apology (in Greek) and a snippet of Lord Byron, which includes the phrase lost in eternity. I then stained the collage with ochre watercolor, and sealed it with gel medium (because the pages are so thin and fragile). Next, I placed an old pocket watch (which my father would have called a “biscuit”) into the Nicho, and moved it up and down, trying to decide the best placement. I left it on my table and moved it up and down almost every day for over a week…I finally glued it in place, and added the keyhole and eye. Next, I surrounded the space with coral beads from a broken bracelet. “Coral has been used as amulets for thousands of years, and was considered to be very powerful. As with many water symbols it was associated with female energy. The Greek word for coral - korallion - means the doll of the sea. In classical mythology it was said that coral grew from the blood of Medusa. In ancient Rome, amulets of coral were thought to staunch bleeding and protect children from illness. Coral was also used by ancient mariners to protect them when they sailed the oceans.” http://katieojewelry.com/ Although my coral is more of a soft orange color than a vibrant blood red, I like to think that it holds all of the properties mentioned above. As a final touch, and a balancing measure, I added an oval charm with Chinese characters which was given to me by my daughter many Christmases ago. The Nicho has a glass door, and the book opens like a door as well, continuing a story to be completed by the viewer.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Solo Exhibit in Burlington, VT

The Fletcher Free Library in Burlington VT is hosting an exhibit of my altered books and collages through August 13th, 2011. Fletcher Free Library is at 235 College St. in Burlington, VT.

Library hours are :
Monday,Tuesday, Thursdays, Friday, 8:30 am-6:pm
Wednesday, 8:30am-9:00pm
Saturday, 8:30am-5:30pm
Sunday, 12noon-6:00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment